Monday, October 20, 2008

Boys will be boys....but do they have to??

I got my first phone call home from a teacher today. My dd is in grade 4 and NEVER a call home. Ds has only been in school for 2 months. He bit a little girl on the cheek. They were having an argument over what shoes he should wear home, and when she wouldn't stop insisting that he wear his insides home, he bit her. AARRGGHHH!

He is a very intelligent child but very emotionally immature. I don't know what to do with him. He changes the subject every time I try to talk to him about this kind of behavior. He gets very upset and irrational. He tends to be a catastrophizer ("not now" means "never ever again".) He has a stubborn streak a mile wide. This is the way he has always been. When he was 2 he would spend an hour in time out rather than admit he had misbehaved and apologize.

We have a program in our school system called CARES (children at risk experiencing success). I teach this at my school and I'm wondering if he might benefit from a short time in it. The CARES teacher at their school is a man, which he may be more receptive to. He needs to learn strategies to cope with his frustration and he doesn't want to listen to Mommy or Daddy. *sigh* I'm at a loss.

I did make him write a letter apologizing to the little girl and there was no TV and computer tonight (not that he gets much of that anyway).

On the weight loss front, I stayed within my points today and got a ton of exercise. Hopefully I will have a STS on Thursday but I think it may be a gain. I'm feeling like I've got this in hand again and am gaining some forward momentum. YAY ME!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! If you would like to leave a message, give some advice or just have something to say, please share it with me!!!